Friday 9 January 2015

Lost in transit





On 5th December I posted off a Christmas parcel to my daughter Janet and her Partner Neil - they live in Spain but work in Gibraltar so I sent their Christmas presents, Christmas card and it's Neil's birthday on boxing day so it also included his pressie and this card I made for him.  It is now 9th January and the said parcel is still missing .  I know I know I should've sent in by recorded mail or some such other method - I should have sent it to their home - but I thought it would save them a trip to the Spanish Post Office to collect as they are out at work all day.

Anyway it doesn't look like they are ever going to get it so I thought I would share the card I made  for Neil.  Towards the latter end of last year Neil took part in a poker tournament run by the company they work for and HE WON the Gibraltar competition - well done Neil, then he was flown to a hotel in London to take part in the National Finals - and he won that too so very well done - I think the prize is a holiday anyhow I digress but that was the reason behind this shaker card







I had this sheet of card that I have had for years at the bottom of a box of patterned card - I bought it not long after I started papercrafting thinking it would be good for a man card - I have never used it - until now.  Even then I haven't cut into it as I sanded back some white shrink plastic and photocopied it!  Now I knew it wasn't going to dry until I shrank it so I was ultra careful




 I cut them all out leaving a tiny rim around the edge and then shrank them to make tiny little playings cards that I could put inside to shake about.





I also had the playing cards and token stamp from a set that came free with creative stamping mag - again several years ago.  I needed a border and some random bits to fill in and so I turned to my padlock set from Clarity I stamped out loads of the suit blocks that are made to put on the key stem.  I embossed them all in clear and cut them out so that I could make the border 



after that it was just an assembly job keeping to the colours on playing cards.

I enjoyed making this card as its a bit different from my normal style - shame its gone walkabout !



12 comments:

Pippa said...

What a shame it never arrived, it's a fantastic card Linda.

Jeanette Butler said...

Oh that's a shame after all your hard work. Thank goodness that you took photos. It's a fantastic card. Your hard work was well worth the finished product. I'm very impressed that you copied the cards onto shrink plastic. Amazing! My partner's birthday is on boxing day and he's called Neil too. I often forget about making his card until Christmas day, but I remembered earlier this year. Expect your parcel will eventually turn up...probably sometime in 2020 xx

June Smith said...

Linda I absolutely love this card, it is ideal for a man, would love to know where you got the sheets from but as you say you have had them in your stash for a long time, never mind.

Hugs June Smith xx

Theresa said...

what a delightful card Linda! and how on earth did you photocopy it onto shrink plastic? love everything about it xx

Linda Page said...

Hi Theresa, thanks, I sanded the shrink on one side and fed it through so that it printed on that side. I have my printer set to greyscale and draft as a default. I had to handle it carefully lol x

Emma Burns said...

Linda! Linda! Can I steal it, can I. Please, pretty please. This is such a superb idea for a card and so very well executed. It is perfect for by brother-in-law. He was a croupier before he became ill. He would so love this.
Extra big hugs xxxxxxx

Mindful craft said...

Hi Linda, what a shame the parcel is missing.
Fab card, brilliant! xxx

Linda Page said...

Emma my friend of course you can printable heaven have downloadable sheets of cards.. sorry blogger wont let me copy and paste the link x

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

I hope your parcel will eventually turn up. In the meanwhile, that card is fantastic. So much cutting out and so much shrinking. Love it. Thank you for your visit to my blog and the lovely comment you left. xxx Maggie

Emma Burns said...

Thank you very much Linda, I have their site bookmarked. Thank you for the awesome inspiration too. Hugs xxx

Amanda Openshaw said...

So sorry about your parcel going missing Linda. Such a shame. The card is genius though! How on earth you copied onto shrink plastic I don't know?! Lol! I can't even get thick card through my printer. You really are very clever. Xxx
Hugs,
Amanda

Jennifer Johnston said...

A fabulous card Linda, just love how you've got the smaller card behind the heart aperture.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs Jennifer xx