Tuesday 1 September 2015

SHAPED CARDS


SEPTEMBER!!!!

Before we know where we are Christmas will be here - I haven't made a single card yet - yikes

The bingo challenge last month threw up some fantastic entries - I wonder who will win - I know it was extremely difficult to pick my fave 5.


So to this month's challenge - Shaped cards - what to do - what shape to use - should I use a die - got plenty of those  - or do I take my inspiration from the lovely parchment box that was on Emma Burns blog recently - oh she is one very clever lady -  I know my work with parchment is not in the same class as Emma's - it isn't even in the same school lol but I liked how she used the groovi system to create her shapes so here is my effort.....

I started by tracing around the square groovi plate omitting the top line,  I then replaced the squares with the circles and lined it up to the partly scribed square to make an arch.





I transferred the pattern from the border plate and in the bottom two corners I switched it around to make more of a flower (and fill the gap).

I also did the same trick with the nestie groovies to form an arch in the middle then I marked the central line and split it into three to give me a guide to line up the letters.  ( I did it in pencil so I could rub it out after)

 I then added Best Wishes from the bunting border - the letters are smaller  than on te groovi plate mate and I could fit them in.

  As an aside  I have also used the tiny square from the nestie groovi plate to mark out like the larger squares on the groovi mate - it is the perfect size for these small letters


So now this is where all my best laid plans go pear shaped because I forgot to take any more pics  Doh

Next I transferred two of the flowers from the blooming peonies plate and then I added a third in the middle - behind.  I also did two more on another piece of parchment so that I could cut out and layer up.

Behind the best wishes I used  bits from the Christmas tree to fill up the space - just randomly

Finally I used the Netting plate to create a background.
I used a star embossing tool (borrowed from a friend as I haven't got lots of stuff....yet!)  i just did it by eye.

I did a little embossing from the back and no 15 speccie pencil from the essential set.  I also coloured in the parts of the border that I hadn't embossed so I could hide the bits of red liner I used to stick it down.

I thought it may be useful to show you the plates I used 



Netting Groovi Plate A5 SquareBlooming Peonies amp Sprig Pattern Groovi Plate SetCircle Nested Groovi Plate A5 SquareSquare Nested Groovi Plate A5 Square
Bunting Wave + Alphabet amp Christmas Groovi Border Plate SetLace Groovi Border Plates 1 and 2 Set

26 comments:

carols handmade cards said...

Beautiful parchment work it looks so delicate. Xx

June Smith said...

Wow Linda, what a beautiful, beautiful card this is, I have some of the groovi plates, not got the square but got the circle and the borders but oh how inspirational you are, would make a beautiful backdrop for a wedding card wouldn't it.

Enjoy Tuesday, stay safe, healthy and happy, hugs, June Smith xxx

Emma Burns said...

Hello Linda. First of all THANK YOU for the mention. You are so very kind. XX
I think what you have created here is beautifully done. Your 'inline' embossing is perfect. You have created a very lovely card and it will definitely be treasured by the recipient. Very creative of you to make the dome with the Groovi Plates too. Hugs xxxxxxx

Emma Burns said...

Hello Linda. First of all THANK YOU for the mention. You are so very kind. XX
I think what you have created here is beautifully done. Your 'inline' embossing is perfect. You have created a very lovely card and it will definitely be treasured by the recipient. Very creative of you to make the dome with the Groovi Plates too. Hugs xxxxxxx

Naomi said...

Such a beautiful delicate card Linda. Love it.

Mrs P said...

Love your card Linda and your blog describes perfectly how you achieved the finished result....even without the photo's lol. You've integrated lots of elements from the plates you've used and produced a beautifully intricate card.
The Groovi system is fab and the possibilities are endless aren't they? I never fancied trying parchment before as it seemed too complex, but the innovative Groovi idea certainly makes it easier for those just starting out (me!).
Have a good day, Carole xxx

Shelagh Metselaar said...

Great 'parching' Linda and it's wonderful how you have incorporated a variety of plates to decorate different areas. Your design could easily be adapted for different occasions. ;~}

Angela said...

Love your card Linda with its beautiful parchment work. x

Linda Page said...

Thank you Carol - this groovi plate malarky has an awful lot to answer for xx

Linda Page said...

aw thanks June - ooo yes now you have started me thinking - replace best wishes with the couple from the wee folk set xx

Linda Page said...

Thank you Emma - you are such an inspiration with this parchment stuff and I have been having some lessons from Susan Moran too lol

Linda Page said...

Thank you Naomi

Linda Page said...

Thanks Carol - yes this groovi system has a lot to answer for lol

Linda Page said...

Thank you Shelagh x

Linda Page said...

Thanks Angelaxx

crafty said...

Well you are a star at parchment craft must have taken a good while xx

Lesley said...

Lovely delicate parchment work Linda. The arch shape is very effective and adds a lot of interest to the card. Haven't gone down the parchment route myself yet, hubby might object to yet another lot of craft stuff, but it does seem that the Groovi Plate has really caught on. x

Lesley said...

Lovely delicate parchment work Linda. The arch shape is very effective and adds a lot of interest to the card. Haven't gone down the parchment route myself yet, hubby might object to yet another lot of craft stuff, but it does seem that the Groovi Plate has really caught on. x

Jo Rice said...

Beautiful card Linda, and very delicate and clever....you really have got in the Groove....great inspiration....xxx

Lynne Bishop said...

This is wonderful, so much work. The Groovi plate is fantastic. I am glad I am not the only one who has not started on Christmas cards, must get on with them. xx

Linda Page said...

Thanks Lesley I have deffo got the bug lol xx

Linda Page said...

Thanks Jo love it..didn't think I would lol

Linda Page said...

Thank you Lynne good luck with your xmas cards dunno when I will find ime to start mine lol

Unknown said...

Hi Linda. You're not alone; I need to get a wiggle on with Christmas cards too! This card is so beautiful, and the colour you've chosen makes me think of vintage lace. The Groovi is addictive isn't it, I even take it to work with me to do at lunchtime. Xxx

Linda Page said...

Thanks Barbara ...it's a bit addictive lol

Linda Page said...

Thanks Barbara ...it's a bit addictive lol